Microsoft began pushing out Windows 8.1 today. So, naturally, I had to upgrade two of my Windows 8 machines (the third has a failed HDD.) On my development desktop, I started the install before having to leave for several hours. I *THOUGHT* it was just going to download and I’d have to do something when I got back. No, it downloaded AND installed. I was gone about two and a half hours and, when I got back, it had just finished the primary upgrade and was in the process of downloading the Windows Store Apps. Note: my desktop apps were still there. The upgrade went well and the machine is working just fine. If FEELS snappier that it has, but it could be my imagination, not sure.
Upgrading the Asus VivoTab Smart, however, was not as easy. My first three attempts all met a quick and painless death. The install would start the download, hang for a minute and then tell me it could not install. After scratching my head for a moment, I remembered that the primary ‘drive’ only had about 4.5GB free. SO, I MOVED a bunch of stuff-8GB worth-off to the SD card. This included PICTURES and some video that I had not yet saved anywhere else (BACKUP, people! sigh.) Once I had enough space cleared, the download process appeared to work. After about 15 minutes or so, the little “installing update” message disappeared. Nothing appeared to be happening, so I tried again. I was met with a quicker failure message, so I thought “well, maybe it is doing something.” After another ten or so minutes, I finally got a screen wide message telling me that I would lose all of my files. I knew this and tapped the OK button. Little did I know how true this would be.
Again, for quite a while, over a half hour, the tablet appeared to do nothing. Then another screen wide message instructs me that the machine has to reboot. I sighed and tapped OK. Another ten or so minutes pass and I’m greeted with the EULA page. I tap ‘I Agree’ and go on. Looking around, things appeared OK, until I tried to access the SD card. I was greeted with the nice little message telling the card was corrupt. I restart the tablet and try again. Same message. I put the card in another computer and, same thing. After several desparate and futile attempts to read it, I finally clicked the FORMAT button and formatted the card.
I’ve lost I don’t know what. Fortunately, many, if not most, of the pictures were copied to one of my other computers, SkyDrive and/or Facebook.
Once the tablet had completed all of the post install stuff, it is working fine. I got my battery indicator back (it disappeared in the preview release) and the tablet is running significantly faster. I do have some desktop apps to install, but I think I will leave most of the crap I had installed off of the device.
Overall, I am pleased with the upgrade (NOT about losing my data, though) and the performance increase is decent on the tablet. I’m not going into the details of whats new or changed here, that may be another post. Instead, you can head over to the VERGE and check them out.
Just remember, BEFORE you do the upgrade, BACKUP YOUR DATA. I thought I was good to go, but…alas, I was not. Don’t make my mistake!